The dog ate my chocolate!

For Any of you who have dogs that get into things…You so understand this:  last week, I was making some treat for my Valentine treat class this coming Monday.  Well, I made the late on night in my stamp room.  (its in the basement, door can be closed)  I lined up the finished samples on the floor So I could take them upstairs and get a picture in the morning to advertise my class.  Closed the door and went to bed.

Here is how it happened:  In the morning I had to run to the basement to get this, or that, and I don’t remember what. Up and down a few times, dog follows, catches wiff of chocolate.  I tell her “NO!”  go up stairs, close door- take kids to bus, get them off to school.  Come home, run to basement to get something, (don’t remember what….I get my exercise by running stairs)  Start to work,  stop in my office for something, check home email then I get the feeling…Ooops…the I left the door cracked by mistake!  Lexy snuck downstairs for I swear less that 5 minutes and this is all that was left of 2 of my treats.  Yes they were full of candy….arrggghhh!

this is what they were supposed to be:  

Of course I had to remake them different since my Candy lane paper was running low.  UGH!  thank goodness everything else was still up on the table.  Lexy has eaten many Stampin Up cards and project over the last year.  Mostly 

when she is mad at me.  Some say the SU card stock must be laced with beef!!  She has also eaten tax bills, catalogs and checks valued at $100!

I will be sharing my class in the next few days and I will provide the recipes and the specs on how to make the ALL projects from my class.  Thanks for hearing my vent!  good thing the dog is cute!  This is an older picture but it looks likes she’s going down to my stamp room.  



  1. Pam Downs
    February 4, 2009 / 1:42 pm

    Oh my gosh! How funny…well maybe NOW it's funny, because I'm sure it wasn't at the time. 🙂 Love your chocolate holder, it's so cute! Thanks for sharing.

  2. Tricia
    February 4, 2009 / 2:47 pm

    Your post made me laugh, especially since your dog is a poodle. Our schnoodle (poodle/schnauzer) also holds grudges and also loves chocolate!! He sneaks downstairs to our TV room to see if the guys (my dh and ds) left any out and often slinks back upstairs licking his chops. The projects are adorable! I'm having a *horrible* time deciding on my club order! 🙂

  3. Anonymous
    February 4, 2009 / 2:48 pm

    HAHAHA! What a cute story. That picture made my morning! I giggled so hard that someone sitting behind me at work came out to see what was so funny! Susan McMillen

  4. Felicia
    February 4, 2009 / 2:51 pm

    When will we learn? I think after this last time of dog eating Christmas class treats, I did. I feel for you, all that work and paper gone to the dogs. HaHaFeliciaDallas,Tx

  5. Deanna
    February 4, 2009 / 3:44 pm

    Good thing you love your dog………I thought that chocolate was not good for doggies……… Love your slider treat.

  6. Julie A.
    February 4, 2009 / 4:17 pm

    OMG! That is hilarious! Who doesn't like chocolate? LOL! It's a good thing you got a picture of it before she tore it up:)

  7. Anonymous
    February 4, 2009 / 6:44 pm

    Oh my! And she looks so innocent! lol

  8. Peggy
    February 4, 2009 / 7:25 pm

    I had a dog that carefully unwrapped Reese's Peanut Butter cups that I left on the table… a lot of them!I've since heard that chocolate is poisonous to dogs. You might want to check with your Vet if Lexy doesn't seem right.Great project, though… love your detail.

  9. Sue from Oregon
    February 4, 2009 / 9:47 pm

    Boy, if I were a teacher…I would be looking at you with a raised eyebrow…I guess the dog did eat your homework LOL!

  10. janetwmarks
    February 5, 2009 / 12:37 am

    This could not possibly be the dog that ate your chocolate!?! Why, she just looks TOO sweet. (sweet because of all the chocolate she inhaled. I hope she at least unwrapped the hearts first). Cute project! thanks for the laugh.

  11. Anonymous
    February 5, 2009 / 3:46 am

    That has happened to me more times than I care to mention! This year the dog ate six swaps from convention – my six favorite!! How do they know what we love??? Crazy pooches!

  12. Susanne
    February 5, 2009 / 3:58 am

    JillI looked at your website and realized there were photos of two standard poodles. I also have a 7 year old black standard and I am happy to report he has NOT eaten my chocolate – maybe that would be a diet plan!! The dog ate my treats so I wouldn't!!

  13. Ann M. Clemmer
    February 5, 2009 / 8:09 am

    Oh my! It's a funny story but NOT a funny situation. Chocolate is poisonous to dogs because their bodies cannot process it. It never totally leaves their system. Do a Google search. I almost had a fit when I thought Stamper Dog ate a chocolate chip when he was a puppy. He'll eat everything too. Dogs love chocolate, but you never know when they reach the bite that they won't come back from.Lucky your poodle's big. Stamper is too small to make too many mistakes. (my DH thinks he's a goat)

  14. Wendy
    February 5, 2009 / 10:44 am

    I have to laugh at this! Sorry! My dog does the same thing. I have to double check my scrapping room door all the time! But, they are easy to forgive…especially when they are sooooo cute. I love your blog! Great ideas, have a nice day.

  15. Bev
    February 5, 2009 / 12:52 pm

    Kinda funny! My dog did this once at Christmas time. My sis bought me a box of truffles. My dog was a Shitzu (?). He jumped the dining room table because he was mad we left him for the evening. Ate the WHOLE BOX!!! Don't worry about your dog dieing either….a dog has to eat 1 oz of chocolate per pound of weight for him to get deathly sick.My dog WAS sick! At 11 lbs and a box of truffles definitely didn't agree. It was coming from both ends for 2 days!! UGH!!!After that, we learned not to leave chocolate on the table. Then he decided to get into the groceries….let's just say he loved marshmallows too!!Aren't we such saps when it comes to these furry friends though??

  16. Nancy Park
    February 5, 2009 / 3:38 pm

    Many years ago (35 to 40) I had a beautiful black standard poodle named Lexis, he was a love but naughty. Since then, for 17 years I had a Lahsa and she won the prize! She ate buttons of shirts, tabs off zippers, chewed up books and a Bible, not to mention rockers on rocking chairs and legs on tables. I now have a Yorkie, she is the perfect stamping campanion, all she wants to do is sleep in her bed next to me as I stamp.

  17. Rita Bradt
    February 5, 2009 / 3:54 pm

    That's hysterical! Gone to the dogs again. I had two beautiful golden retrievers and as my back was turned they ate the dozen chocolate cupcakes I made for my co-worker's birthday. Ate the cupcake wrappers and all! Those little rascals, but what would we do without them! Cute dog and cute treat holders!

  18. Georgann
    February 5, 2009 / 4:06 pm

    I SO can relate. Samantha steals off to my stamp room, knocks over the trash can every once in a while—just to be sure she isn't missing anything, and roots through any swaps on the floor in hopes of a forgotten treat.

  19. Anonymous
    February 5, 2009 / 7:52 pm

    Boy do I hear where you are coming from – today is my daughter's birthday and last night I left the last pan of cupcakes for her class cooling on the top of the stove. I went upstairs to watch TV until they had a cooled enough to put the frosting on and my big giant lab puppy just helped himself. He polished off every last one of them in the tin on the stove – including two of the paper cups! Thankfully, I had put the others on the counter on tinfoil and I heard the rattling as he tried to get at those too! We had JUST enough left for her class. Bad doggie! – Trish

  20. Princess Tinybutt
    February 6, 2009 / 8:06 am

    HAH-LARRY-US!!!yes, i'm a dog mommy, or was, we had to put our 13 year old malamute down a couple months ago. this post cracked me up!!

  21. Lisa H.
    February 9, 2009 / 1:14 pm

    thanks for sharing your story. I have had many of projects end up like this. My dog (almost a 100 lb. golden) has even eaten through tins to get to the chocolate! He also LOVES the hemp twine!

  22. Ramona Michaluk
    February 15, 2009 / 12:27 am

    Oh Lexy, you're just like me – I can't resist chocolate!I know chocolate is not good for dogs but this is such a funny story and Lexy looks so cute (and innocent!). LOLI've had our cats pilfering things off plates and the kitchen bench when we're not looking but our dog stays outside so at least my chocolate is safe as she can't get to it and the cats don't like it.Love your Valentine's Day treats (as did Lexy) – thanks for sharing the before & after pics – love your projects and your ideas!

  23. Kimi
    February 19, 2009 / 2:13 pm

    I can so relate! I have a mischevious dog too! (shih-tzu) My friend gave me a fancy bar of Dove chocolate for Christmas (but I didn't get it until New Years-and I'd given up chocolate for the month of January) so I left it in the gift bag for February. Well, "Cocoa" decided she'd help herself (when I wasn't home-her way of punishing me!) She got into the bag pulled out the Dove full sized candy bar that was wrapped in heavy duty cardboard and foil and she chowed down! Boo hoo. I was very scared cause I've heard that chocolate can kill a dog. (but I don't think Dove chocolate can kill anything-you go straight to heaven when you eat it!)Your work is so very inspiring and I wish I was your best friend!!!!

Leave a Reply